Back in the game for a 2018 recap

Hello friends!

My name is Jenny, and I love movies.

I am excited to get back into the world of film writing. This year I really rediscovered my passion for cinema. I saw 40 new films in theaters, along with plenty of others at home, and actually, most of them were pretty good. This was a fantastic year for film, and I feel lucky to have so many options for seeing all the great features out there. In addition to my local multiplex and my beloved 50-seat indie cinema, I found Kanopy this year, a seriously awesome streaming service that's free with a library card!! And I discovered some of my favorites this year through Netflix and Hulu. What a time to be alive!

I'm kicking off my foray back into film writing with a seriously ambitious best of 2018 list. It's kind of my own version of the Oscars, with some fun twists like Scariest Moment and Best Debut Feature. Please let me know if there are any specialty categories you'd be interested in seeing. If I feel like I have 3 nominees, I'd be happy to give it a go. I hope you'll follow along and chime in on your own opinions. And of course, feedback on my writing is always welcome.

I do want to mention a few notable films that I feel would be contenders here, but I haven't been able to see. They are:

  • If Beale Street Could Talk
  • First Man
  • Can You Ever Forgive Me?
  • Support the Girls
And pretty much all foreign films, unfortunately. Hopefully I will get to some of these in the upcoming year and give them their own write ups.

Off we go!

Comments

Popular Posts